Wednesday, February 24, 2010

CMA Announces 2010 Country Music Hall of Fame Honorees

Ferlin Husky, Jimmy Dean, Don Williams, and producer Billy Sherrill will be recogonized as the newest inductees into the Country Music hall of Fame at the annual Medallion Ceremony later this year.

Due to a tie, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean will both enter in the "Veterans Era Artist" category, with Don Williams entering the "Modern Era Artist" category, and Billy Sherril joins the "Non-Performer" category.

When announcing the inductees, CMA Board of Directors Chairman Steve Moore said, "These four gentlemen broadened country music immensely with their talents, exposing millions of fans around the world to our format. Their contributions to the genre and to popular culture are immeasurable, and we are proud to award them the highest honor in country music."

They are all reacting as you would expect. With dignity and excitement.

Ferlin Husky says, "I'd like to thank my Lord Jesus Christ for dying for me, saving my soul, and bringing me into the world as a country boy. And also, for giving me the talent to sing, entertain, and help convert millions around the world to Country Music. I'm still a country boy and proud of it. In the words of my close friend, the late Stringbean, 'I sure am glad I'm me!'"

Don Williams feels "extremely honored and overwhelmed," and calls it "unbelievable that CMA thought about me in this manner."

Jimmy Dean also says he feels "honored," adding, "it brought a huge grin to my face."

Producer Billy Shirrell says, "Anything I have ever accomplished would have been totally impossible without the help and support of the greatest songwriters and musicians in the world." Along with thanking those involved with his carrer he gave a nod to the late production legend Owen Bradley.