Sunday, April 5, 2009

ACM AWARDS

And the Winners are...

Entertainer of the Year
Carrie Underwood - the first female to win the award since The Dixie Chicks in 2000 - she is only the 7th woman to have won Entertainer of the Year!

Top New Artist
Julianne Hough

Top Female Artist
Carrie Underwood - 3rd in a row!

Top Male Artist
Brad Paisley -3rd in a row!


Top Vocal Group
Rascal Flatts - 7th in a row! They have now surpassed their heroes Alabama who had won 6 in a row!

Song of the Year
"In Color" - Jamey Johnson (James Otto was a cowriter)

Single of the Year
"You're Gonna Miss This" - Trace Adkins

Album of the Year
"Fearless" by Taylor Swift


I confess that when Matthew McConaughey walked on the stage to introduce the Entertainer of the Year I rolled my eyes. He's got a movie coming out so he's there to promote it, and truth be told, I hate that about these awards. I mean, so what he has a movie coming out? It's an award show for country music and I hate when the network running it puts presenters in to promote their own shows (hello Jennifer Love Hewitt of CBS's Ghost Whisperer - can I tell you that I hate what you've done with the show this year so I stopped watching when you killed Jim, and IDK how you've brought him back!).

Well Matthew proved to be the highlight of the show. I really don't know if he went off script or what, but it was pure gold!



The show had a fantastic opening last night with Brooks & Dunn performing "Play Something Country" that they wove inbetween Taylor Swift's "Picture to Burn," Sugarland "It Happens," Carrie Underwood's "All-American Girl," and Rascal Flatts "Me and My Gang."





Probably the most poignent moment of the show last night was Trace Adkins performing with The West Point Glee Club on his song from his CD "X" "'Til the Last Shot's Fired." You can download the performance at itunes right now with the proceeds benefiting the wounded warrier charity.



Many great performances last night including one from Top Male Vocalist Nominee Toby Keith of his last number one "God Love Her."





Taylor Swift had a very 'magical' introduction to sing her new song "You're Not Sorry" via David Copperfield (who really should not wear a black cowboy hat like that again - seriously dude, not your look - next time try one like Toby's).




After her performance Taylor got a special award.





Carrie performed her current hit "I Told You So" in a very secretly guarded dress. She said we would either love it or think it was "weird." I thought it was both! LOL




Keith Urban performed his hot new song "Kiss a Girl" from his hot new CD "Defying Gravity."




Billy Ray Cyrus introduced his daughter Miley for her fun performance of her new song "The Climb" from the Hannah Montana Movie that is in theaters this Friday.




One of my fav performances from last night was, of course, Sugarland and their song "What I'd Give."





It was a great show last night and I found this of the best moments to share with you.




One of the surprise performances last night was Blake Shelton's "She Wouldn't Be Gone." Blake was a last minute fill in for Tim McGraw. Something happened during rehearsal Saturday night that caused Tim to walk out and his management to remove him from the lineup. I will let you know as soon as I find out what happened. Tim will be part of the tribute to George Strait in the ACM Artist of the Decade tribute concert that is being taped today and will air May 27th on CBS.