Monday, October 19, 2009

TOBY KEITH - Artist/Songwriter of the DECADE

Congrats to Toby who is ::clears throat:: the Nashville Songwriters Association International 2000 - 2009 Artist Songwriter of the Decade.

Sunday night Toby accepted the honor at the 39th anniversary Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Dinner & Induction Ceremony.

Toby called it "the most presitgious thing that I've ever been given." He said "We've had a big ten years and I've worked my butt off writing songs. I take a lot of pride in knowing that only about four things have ever been released in 16 years that were singles that I didn't write. So, you know, 99% of the stuff I write, and it's just, to have your peers who are the lifeblood of this industry - songwriters - recognize you is unbelievable. It's very humbling, but it's tremendous gratification, too."
Toby's current number one - "American Ride" would be one of the four songs that he didn't write that he has released.

Other honorees last night were Craig Wiseman who won the 2000- 2009 Songwriter of the Decade and Taylor Swift who won the Artist/Songwriter of the Year award (wouldn't be surprised to see her take that Decade award this time ten years from now - OMG - I do NOT want to think about that! heehee). Also Tammy Wynette and songwriters Kye Fleming and Mark D. Sanders were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.