Monday, July 21, 2008

NASHVILLE STAR

Only two more weeks left in the show. Next week is the last time we’ll vote. The pressure is on.

I’ll be honest, this show started out great, but has gone downhill a bit for me. I haven’t enjoyed it as much as I should have.

Tonight the contestants will be performing original songs. I can’t wait to hear what they write, and how they sound.

They are at the Grand Ole Opry for the show this week. Hallowed ground in country music.

Let’s get into it.

Coffey is first!
“Southern Man”
A song to show who he really is. As his mentor Jewel is happy to hear that.
I thought his voice wasn’t very good, he sounded winded (maybe that was nerves). The song itself was kind of catchy, bouncy, and fun, not to serious.
Jeffrey Steele (JS) – He’s a big songwriter in Nashville, and he said he’s been waiting for this week. He said he felt Coffey pulled it off, the song was kinda novelty (yeah, but that’s not that big a deal), but he liked it.
John Rich (JR) – Didn’t think it was a hit country song, but it was a great performance.
Jewel (J) – Likes it ‘cuz the song is him, she’s proud of that.

Melissa Lawson
“Ready To Stand”
She’s been working on it for months, and is nervous. JR says she’s a natural born songwriter. The song is about her journey to get where she is.
It’s pretty good and she really sang it well.
J – She noted that writing for yourself allows you to take advantage of your range, and she felt Melissa took full advantage of that.
JS – As a songwriter he thinks they have some great talent in this show (I think this was a knock to all the whispers I’ve been hearing.) He’s ready to critique, but they are all blowing him away. Jewel interjected here and wanted to know if Melissa wrote it 100%, and she said “yes.”
JR – Told her to stay focused, stay on her game, but thought it was great.


The judges are going to do a medley of their hits. This should be good or interesting. Let’s hope both.

Well, I thought JR was the best – Jewel was horrible when she went up high, and Jeffrey looked like he was in pain when he sang. lol


Gabe Garcia
“Lost Weekend”
This is the first song he wrote with a couple of buddies.
I can hear this song on country radio.
JS – Liked it. (my dogs were distracting me at this moment – demanding their nighttime treats – so I didn’t get more than that impression – someone fill me in if I missed it)
JR – Thought it sounded like it could be a big ole hit. He said that Gabe still needs to connect to the audience more, so he can compete if he wins.
J – She told him to have a radio hit that sounds unique and like you, not generic (here my honey put in that he thought it did sound generic – yes he was surfing the web and listening this week)
I thought Gabe looked like he had too much blush on. lol

The final two are Ashlee Hewitt and Shawn Mayer.

I am trying to decide who I would like to go home, but it’s kind of a toss up. I think the deciding factor will be their song, of course, by then it’s too late for one of them.

Both girls are wearing huge rings. I just felt the need to comment on that.

Ashlee Hewitt
“Mike’s Hard Lemonade”
She says her song is a little naughty. JR wants her to watch her annunciation since it’s never been heard before, and it’s important for people to understand her. She thinks writing is one of her strongest abilities. Let’s find out.
I liked her song and how she sang it. Honey thought it was the most original of the night, but said there are enough blondes right now – and I kind of feel the same way – will someone please give us a red head!?
J – Thought it was a great song, and helped showcase her. She wants to make a record with her.
JS – The level of talent is great no matter what people are saying.
JR – Started by giving her a pep talk that all of them (the 3 J’s) have all been told no, so don’t get down. He thinks Nashville would be a fool not to put her on the radio.

Shawn Mayer
She cried to be on The Grand Ole Opry stage. I would too!
“I’m Not Looking Back”
Wow it’s really good, and so is she.
JR – Says she has taken quantum leaps the last two weeks. Excellent.
J – Thinks she has a Priscilla Presley thing going on and she is best on her own material.
JS – Loved the space she put between the words and the verses. Thinks she’s a great songwriter. Faith or Martina could sing that song. Win or lose she has a career.

Who’s going home? Tough. I don’t know and I’m not picking! I liked both Ashlee and Shawn.

OK – the thing I hate most about Nashville Star are their horrible, torturous drawn out pauses. I decided I would time how long they played dramatic music before Billy Ray Cyrus put one of them out of their misery.

22 seconds! That’s insane!

Ashlee is out. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her in the next couple of years. We’ll watch for her.

I think Coffey is out next week. He was by far the weakest one tonight.

I think outta the performers left, Shawn Mayer was the best tonight. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her perform first next week.


Tower Dogs is on next. I knew a guy who worked high on towers. Brandon you were crazy!!

What do you think? Who should win?