Tuesday, July 1, 2008

NASHVILLE STAR

First off, Mrshopelesss21 – Thanks for your correction last week. I had BSB on the brain, when N’Sync sing “Bye, Bye, Bye.” At first I thought for sure they said BSB, but then I realized they didn’t, but my brain just put them in that slot. Silly me!

Billy Ray Cyrus’s daughter Noah opens the show with an intro for her dad, and I love BRC, but she is better her first time out, than he is thus far! LOL

It’s Family Night on the show where the contestant’s families surprised them.

Tonight the contestants will sing two songs. We find out they should have added “sort of” to that statement.

First up its Ashlee Hewitt.
The largest family in Nashville Star history. Her dad is stationed in Iraq but he’s here for her.
John Rich says she is an “untapped” natural resource and so far we’ve seen a little bit and need to see more.
First song = Journey “Don’t Stop Believing”
She starts out on piano then moves to the guitar.
She rocks it out. Amazing!!
Jewel (J) – Can tell she is still thinking about it. It’s still kind of clinical. Says as long as she believes it we will.
Jeffrey Steele (JS) – “The Barbara Mandrell Show. You did everything except play the steel guitar.” Told her to keep practicing, to not be distracted by boys flirting with her, to stay in her room and practice. (This made me wonder if some of the boys on the show have been distracting her a bit – she is a cutie)
John Rich (JR) – Thought her transition from piano to guitar was great for a first time. Said her vocals were starting weak and ending strong, said she has to keep working on it, but she is on a slow climb to the top.

Katie Cook interviews the family. 19 family members are town.

Second Song = Sammi Smith “Help Me Make it Through the Night”
Only 45 seconds of it – WTH. Nice job though.
JR – Doesn’t think she is the biggest power house, but he hears something in her voice, and says she is a modern day Tammy Wynette. Thinks she needs to toughen up a bit.
And that is the only comment before we come back with more.

I guess the limited second song is a nice bit of a showcase for their voice, and as long as it stops those horrible dramatic pauses that made me want to throttle someone last week I am all for it. But it feels like they have hardly started to sing. Good thing I taped the show, because I had to rewind since I was distracted momentarily. The second song is a “blink or you’ll miss it” moment, but thanks for getting rid of those pauses. But how about just letting them sing two songs, or at least one complete song? That, and shorten the show to 90 minutes. I am afraid NBC is starting to damage the show with this stuff.

Coffey!!
His daughter Savannah is so adorable.
Jewel wants him to watch his gimmicks. He says he wants to put his personality into every song, but he seems aware that he needs to watch it.
First song = Hank Williams “Hey Good Lookin”
The crowd is on their feet, people love him (me too). He does say “come on now” and variations a lot. Love how he made his voice go up. I liked it.
JS – Doesn’t like him and it’s obvious. Can’t talk at first. “Too little too late. (Does that mean he liked it?) It’s just not hitting me.” Thought the 2nd half was better.
JR – Concerned ‘cuz he thought he got confused and that a country hat doesn’t make him country. He thinks he has done everything “pop pop pop” and should have tried out for American Idol (now wasn’t it just last week that he told Coffey that he finally came back to the guy he was in the audition – which to me indicates he hasn’t sounded country). Said he’s a good singer, but not a country singer.
Here he gets a bit defensive and says that JR has never been to Bangs, TX (a town of 1100), and he got there by skinning rabbits with his dad. I did love him saying “everybody don’t have to agree, but I’m still here.” Then he thanked the crowd.
J – The mediator. She felt that he followed her directions well since that his a streamlined song, and she wants him to sing a ballad next time and really move us.

Katie is with Savannah and his dad and she thought he was “Great!”

Second Song = John Denver “Take Me Home Country Roads” (take that JR! haha)
I really like his voice.
J – Thinks he’s a mixture with great country roots so she wants to keep working on that. Told him to keep his confidence and to keep moving away from the “cheese” and reiterated that she wants him to do a ballad next week. (I agree with her a bit about the cheese – I would like to hear him just sing a song all the way thru – he needs to let his talent shine thru because we know his personality now.


Tommy Stanley made it.
Hasn’t seen his family in a year and a half (he is stationed on the USS Kittyhawk). Wow that was emotional; I have tears pricking my eyes.
His dad is worried about him singing Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer” and told him to get back to his country roots.
First song – Rascal Flatts “Bless the Broken Road”
He can sing that’s for sure. He does sound more country here. I like him, but is he right for WXRO?
JR – We couldn’t be prouder to have you on the show (a navy man). Tells him he would like to have a beer with him but thinks he needs to go to Idol or be a full time navy man. (the crowd goes “BOOOO.”) He thinks just like Coffey, he needs to try too hard to sing country, that he doesn’t naturally belong there.
JS – Blunt from the start. “I thought you’d be gone by now.” Said he’s been “hanging his hat on Gabe as their country guy” but he saw something tonight. He also commented on how great Tommy handled hitting a bad note. (I think I spotted that too, and was impressed as well). I really liked hearing Jeffrey say they would talk about it later and work on it. It is refreshing to see judges that care; will we see a change in the lax attitude of the American Idol judges as a result? Prolly only after Nashville Star has become a huge hit in a few years.
J – Thought he was a bit self-conscious. Doesn’t want to cut out his swagger. (she’s right and that is prolly why JR thought he looked like he was trying.)

Katie is with his family. His dad is trying so hard not to cry. They have a surprise for Tommy after the break.

I am going to take the break to say that it must be hard to perform that second song after hearing that you don’t belong in this competition and should go somewhere else. Which leads me to a bit of a mini-rant. WTH (that’s heck – I try not to swear all the way. hehe) does “you should go somewhere else” mean? Should Coffey and Tommy just say, “You’re right, I am dropping out of the competition.” That’s just a silly comment. It will prolly have the opposite effect and cause the phone lines to go crazy.

Here come some crew members to be with him. I am going to bawl, how can he sing now? Side note – my dad was a navy man, so I have a special place for them in my heart.

BRC gives a shoutout Thank You to them.

Second song = Elton John “Tiny Dancer”
I think he has made it a country song. The banjo is nice, and it seems he changed the phrasing a bit (I think that’s what he did – but I’m not sure – let me know).
J – Agrees that it is hard to separate his pop and country. Thought this was more country than the country song.

Do you think that Tommy now has an advantage since they brought his military family out? Do you think that will offer him an edge in the vote?

BRC does a horrible “and the next contestant is…………. …….. we’ll find out after the break.” Stop that drama!! I really don’t like that, and don’t think they need it. It’s hype, its cheese, it doesn’t belong on TV anywhere!

I really liked the Carrie Underwood “Miniature Horse Whisperer” Vitamin Water commercial. Horses and Carrie Underwood you can’t go wrong.

And I love the commercials for The Baby Borrowers, and the tag line – “It’s not TV, its birth control.” ROFLMAO

Pearl Heart
Jeffrey is overwhelmed. He lost his son almost two years ago, and he has four kids too. I am glad I saw this live so I didn’t cry now like I did then.
First Song = Restless Heart “I’ll Still Be Loving You.”
They sound and look great – but I still don’t hear a front woman. Jeffrey is trying to hold it together (he has to know the camera will be focused on him).
JS – gave him chill bumps, thought they did a good job. Thought they were a little stiff yet.
JR – a few mistakes, and they need to be better. Need to be consistent in their performance.
J – liked when they stood to bring up emotion.

Second Song = LeAnn Rimes “One Way Ticket”
Very good
JS – Told them they had to step it up, and they are, but they still seem to be looking for his approval. He said he was so proud of them.


Melissa Lawson
I loved her face when she saw her family. JR called one of her sons a knot head. LOL She has 5 little boys!!
First Song = Martina McBride “This One’s For the Girls”
I love it, she can really sing. And playing the guitar rocks. She is a natural performer.
J – The audience was going so crazy she was having a hard time getting thru. Thought she did a great job on the fat bottom notes.
JS – Also liked her getting those low notes, wants to know what she wants to work on. (Polishing her guitar ‘cuz she wants to bring it out a lot)
JR – If it was over now she would be the undisputed champ. (JS says “it’s not over yet.”)

Second song = Fleetwood Mac “Landslide” (also covered by The Dixie Chicks)
JR – Worries her voice will fall pray to her nerves (she’ll get breathless).

Here JR made an important statement. That the competition isn’t just about being a great singer, you have to be a star. That really adds some extra pressure. The normal route to stardom people can work on this stuff in the honkytonks (I am thinking of Mr. Kenny Chesney’s rise) and it takes years to really develop. These contestants have 10 weeks. That’s pressure.

Shawn Mayer
She is a tough chick, and JR wants to bring out the girl side of her.
First Song = Faith Hill “Breathe”
Family helped her pick this. Nice job.
J - Liked her vocals, thought she needed to work on her breathing a bit.
JS – Liked her voice getting less ambitious. Think she has a lot to work on.
Here she steps in and starts talking about this being all about working on getting better. Yes, that’s true, but girl, no back talk. (and I think this came off a bit like that – as oppose to Coffey who I felt was making sure we knew he was country and not fake, like JR implied – a fine line, but it was there for me).
JR – Wants to know if she thinks she has improved. Thought she was good, but said she’s a wildcard, and he never knows what he’s going to get.

Second Song = Randy Travis “Forever and Ever Amen”
JR – said she just proved his point (about being a wildcard). He didn’t think she nailed it. Said she has to be good every time, and then asked her if she knew she was going to be singing at the Olympics, and in front of the world. He doesn’t think she’s competitive enough for the show. And here she back talked again with the statement that it’s up to America, and JR just said it was and they could vote for her if they thought she was the best and prove him wrong, but he doesn’t think they will. Again, I say “girl shut up!” You do not back talk to the judges, America doesn’t like that. And that was back talk. She should have said she was, not whined that it was up to America. I would rather she defend herself and disagree.

Gabe, Laura & Sophie, and Alyson Gilbert are in the bottom 3. I think when we come back from break Gabe will perform next, and Alyson is a goner. Let’s see if I need to buy a lottery ticket today. ::hits fast forward button:: Then rewinds to watch the Carrie Underwood commercial for Nintendo DS. I am not sure what kind of game she was playing (it looked like she was scratching a dog – WT?) but I loved seeing her on her tour bus, traveling down the road in her sweats and flip flops. You know she prolly doesn’t wear that much makeup or have her hair that perfect in the real world, but it was still neat. OK, ::hits FF button again::

Blake Shelton is here to perform “Home.” Just saw him do this at Country USA. Will Miranda Lambert come out here? OMG this man is sooooo gorgeous. ::sigh::
The contestants are providing the background vocals as they sit and sway with their families. How nice.

Gabe Garcia (I’m buying a Supercash)
Lost his dad last year. His family says he isn’t shy to the shock of Jewel. Jewel tells him just those little moves are sexy.
First song = Bon Jovi “Dead or Alive”
Excellent. He is moving more. He is coming out of his shell. I like him more and more each week. He is getting better for me. I just saw Jewel look over at the two J’s kind of nervously.
JS – He liked it.
JR – Thinks he’s the best male singer. Felt he could tell he was thinking about it as he moved around, but good job.
J – Was on pins and needles, wants him to work it more naturally, but felt that his voice went to places we haven’t heard before (and that was good).

Second Song = George Strait “The Fireman”
JR & JS like it, they are up on their feet.
J – Why America should vote for him. He’s country, and not trying. He totally flirted with her asking “did that put another flame in your fire?” He was referring to the song he just sang, but Jewel was confused. Lol

I see the scenes for Journey to the Center of the Earth and think of the movie I watched over and over as a kid. My memories of that one are better than the trailer for this one. I think the special effects look cheesy. Too bad.

Bottom Two will each perform one song, then someone will be eliminated and whoever isn’t will sing their second song.

Alyson Gilbert
JR – yelled at her for not listening to her. Then she sees her family. Love her mom catching that the band wasn’t following directions (which her daughter should have)
First Song = Trisha Yearwood “She’s In Love With the Boy”
She can sing, and I would like to see her move on over Laura & Sophie. Mostly ‘cuz I think they are sooo young, and could use a few more years work. Then look out country world. But this performance wasn’t that great either.
J – The eyeball thing is back, she needs heart and soul, and she is just not a fan.

I was watching her more this week, and it seems she feels the need to really open those beautiful eyes when the camera is on her. When she was just talking to JR in the mentoring session, and she was looking at him, her eyes are normal, but then when she is on camera, she makes them wider. This gives her a slightly manic look. It makes me want to tell her to relax.

JS – Bummed out too ‘cuz she put more into it than she had to ‘cuz she had a great voice.
JR – Thought she listened well, and has moments of brilliance, but need to be from beginning to end. He sees it. (Jewel says here “soul search”)

Laura & Sophie
Jeffrey wants them to rock it up.
They are so cute seeing their families.
First Song = Katrina & the Waves “Walking on Sunshine”
It had a couple of good moments for me, but their “who ooh’s” had me cringing. They have separated more and are performing to the crowd, but I don’t like it.
J – That really should have been great.
JR – Think they come off like high school girls in a high school talent show. He thinks just like me, that they are too young, and they would get chewed up.
JS – He was proud. Missed a bit. If they squeak thru they’ve seen everyone step up (he said it was one of the greatest show), they have to really think how they are going to make it work.

I think Alyson is gone ‘cuz she was sooo horrible last week. But maybe America saw what John and I do with Laura & Sophie and cut them loose.

That pause was horrible. They should be ashamed for making them twist in the wind like that.

I am buying a Megabucks ticket. Alyson is gone. JR tells her she’s a great singer, and she has some missing pieces, but keep pushing forward and figure it out. She needs to get tough and focused.

Laura & Sophie
Second Song = Reba McEntire & Kelly Clarkson “Because of You”
This was much better, but I think they are out next week.
JS – They have the least to lose, that they are hanging by a thread, and they need to take it to the next level.

My fav right now is Melissa. I think she has what it takes, and she will just keep getting better.

Who do you like, and not. Best, worst? Let me know what you think.