Monday, June 9, 2008

Nashville Star

They are making it soooo dramatic with that music in the beginning. They want their show to have gravitas. ‘Take me seriously’ it practically screams. I get it, you’re not American Idol.

A Top 50 become the final 12. The Final 12 perform tonight. The judges send one home at the end of the show, then we have two hours to vote.

Billy Ray Cyrus is the host. He is such a cheerleader. “That was incredible!” “Fantastic!” “Good job!” He makes ‘em feel good before they hear from the judges.

Well, this show seals it, crying is now a mandatory part of reality shows. I swear this year people are crying more than ever on reality shows. What is up with that! It is annoying! (yeah, like I wouldn’t be a crying baby I’m such an emotional being. lol)

What is up with this long intro that feels more like a promo for the show, than the show? I am worried that people that are surfing by, or just checking in, will check out before the singing begins.

The segment with the military was awesome. A lot of great talent there. Somehow, I can’t see these people deluding themselves, or having friends that would allow them to delude themselves, so would there really be any bad singers? Can you see one of them lying to their friend? “No, you were awesome. You gotta try out for Nashville Star.” I can’t see them doing that if they thought they didn’t have a shot.

The Judges: Songwriter/Singer Jeffrey Steele
John Rich from Big & Rich
Former Nashville Star host Jewel
John Rich won’t let anyone be fake, he says this after they show him on stage being over the top with his outfits like the full length fur. He is so fun and over the top. Are we suppose to think that’s really him?

I loved when they changed up Charlies audition with a different song that was better for his voice. I would like to have seen more of this. That shows that they really care about their job. They are taking it seriously.

So Charlie’s audition was good and then it was downhill.
LOL The judges went out and yelled at the crowd about hearing no, that they have all heard it and you have to get use to it. It’s the business. They gave them a pep talk. LOL

Wow, Justin’s hot!

Initial impresson on the group sing is that the women are better than the men. Melissa was the first one that made me say “Wow.”

Taylor Swift sang “Picture to Burn” and was amazing. John Rich told the Top 12 that her sensibilities about country music are why she is the hottest thing in country today. Taylor told them to respect everyone, that they are nothing without their fans.

The grand prize is a Warner Brothers contract, Toyota Tundra truck and a chance to perform at the 2008 Olympics. And something that I missed.

Pearl Heart – Amy, Courtney, and Angela
Sisters – working for this for 10 years.
Dixie Chicks – Wide Open Spaces
They sounded pretty good, nice harmonies. The judges liked them, Jewel told her that she needs to step out more as a front women. I thought the same, but can’t tell you which one she is, I don’t know which is which yet.

Tommy Stanley – USS Kittyhawk – Navy Man – an engineer
When they said he could go thru and he had to turn around I totally choked up.
Marc Cohen – Walking in Memphis
He can sing and he is a performer. He gets the crowd involved.
I can see what John Rich said about him being over excited and maybe trying too hard.

Shawn Mayer (is a woman)
Janis Joplin/Faith Hill – Take a Piece of My Heart
She can sing, but what is she doing to this song.? The beginning was bad, but she pulled it in at the end. Judges felt she needed to reach for those notes more. She looks nervous looking into that camera as BRC gives her numbers. I think that is a pretty real look. She isn’t use to looking in that camera, and it is a weird feeling when you first do it.

Third Town – Toni, Little Toni, & Jeff
14 years together
Oak Ridge Boys – Elvira
I don’t think they are ready, even though they can harmonize. John Rich needs a defining sound. Yes. Though Little Big Town wanted to not go that way, and it is working for them, but these guys aren’t working it, they are getting lost as JR said.

Coffey
A single dad who will be away from his daughter for 2 ½ months.
Doobie Brothers – Drift Away
I really like his look. His voice doesn’t blow me away, well wait, it’s pretty good. Nice falsetto at the end. JR – best thing I’ve seen so far tonight. John Rich called Jewel pitchy!!! LOFL Jeffery Steele said Coffey was in spots and Jewel said “WHAT! Rewind the tape.” That’s when John said they had just made a record together and she was pitchy too!

Laura & Sophie
BFF’s or at least 7 years.
The youngest in the competition.
The way they looked at each other they knew that the magic was going to happen as soon as they joined together. They can belt it out. Jewel and JR hit it in that they sang to each other more than the audience.

Gabe Garcia
George Strait – All My Exes
They didn’t make a big deal about Coffey being African American, but they point out that Gabe is Hispanic. What’s up with that? Twany traditional. Nice voice, but very much a bar performance for me. Jewel and JR danced. John Rich wants to record his voice. LOL to Jewel saying “he just wants to let us know he’s recording the record. It’s all about John.” Why do I think she is not kidding? But he prolly is sweet so it doesn’t get on your nerves so much

Alyson Gilbert
She is a red head who studies Animal Science.
Sara Evans – Suds in the Bucket
She’s got the crazy eyes when she sings. She is a pagent person!! That explains it. Jewel nailed the reason. I didn’t think her voice was bad, but she needs to calm down. John Rich doesn’t seem to like her much, and said that the person who wins will perform at the Olympics, and that performance wasn’t good enough.

Ashlee Hewitt
Wow she has a huge family. Her dad recently deployed to Iraq.
I don’t know the song she is singing, but I like how vulnerable she sounded.
JR said, “It was simple, I felt it.” Jewel and Jeffrey agreed that she needs to showcase her voice and personality more.

Charlie Jenkins
A real cowboy.
Tim McGraw – I Like It, I Love It
I’m not sure I really care for his voice. He worked the crowd nice by walking thru it. The judges weren’t buying it though. He doesn’t look happy as BRC is giving his numbers – he knows he is in trouble.

Justin Gaston
He is HOT! He is HOT! Have I said it yet how HOT he is? HOLY COW is he hot. OK, ::deep breath:: I need to listen to him sing. :P
I don’t know the song he’s singing. He is not good. He is the first one I haven’t liked at all. BRC is right he is hot! JS didn’t like it, JR said it was pitchy, he liked him countryfing the song, but none really liked his voice.

Melissa Lawson
Bonnie Raitte = Something to Talk About
She can really sing. She is my fav of the night. Nice ending. Wow. Jewel stole my word. “Wow” Mick Jagger could learn a few things from you regarding her attitude, according to Jewel.

We go to commercial and come back to have a judge vote someone out.
Jeffrey – Charlie
John – Alyson
It’s all up to Jewel!!
Jewel – Charlie

I don’t think Charlie’s voice was right for the radio. I completely agree with the choice of Jewel, and her reasons.

Next week it’s out vote that gives someone the boot. I think Justin could be a goner, or will it be Charlie or Third Town. Those were my weakest.

Right nowmy absolute favorite is Melissa Lawson. I really can hear her on a radio near you (that would be The Most Fun in the Country – WXRO 95.3FM).

What about you? Let me know who you liked and who you didn’t. And what did you think of the show?