Friday, March 18, 2011

SNAP FITNESS UPDATE

Things are going well. I am making goals and actually keeping them! I even commented on that to the honey the other day as we were discussing our workouts. For once in my life I am making workout plans that I will stick to! I cannot tell you how good that feels! He even told me last night how proud he was of me. And I am so proud of myself.

It's still not a picnic - I still find that I have to use motivational tricks to get that great workout in that I need. I was on the treadmill last night - pushing myself - and when I started feeling tired I kept moving by telling myself I was only 5 months in and that I have come a long ways in those 5 months, and by sticking with it - and pushing myself - I will only go farther, and I can look back on this moment and see the progress I've made.

I still have to talk myself into doing all those abs - but dang it - I increased the number of them last night, so now my routine will include 300 every time I do them! I only added 5 to each type that I do, which didn't seem like much (until I did the math after and realized it was really another 50!), and I felt like I was ready to add on to what I was doing. Sure, I lay on the bench before I start those crunches talking to myself about how there's really not that many, and they'll be over faster if I just get started, but I do them!

The result of last nights pushing myself on the treadmill - and the extra abs - was a tired, but motivated Lezli at the end of it all. I felt GREAT!

I have a new goal to start next week, and that is to use all of the machines on one of my strength training days. I will also be reverting back to the drop down method with the weights where I do a normal set, then cut the weight in half and do a set again right away. Muscle confusion is a key to getting the most out of a workout - so I am trying my best to change things up - and that also keeps me from getting bored. The brain is a muscle too - so the changing of my routine is good for it as well as the rest of my muscles.

Since I began this venture of getting in shape last October I find I am feeling really good. My clothes fit so much better, I have more energy, and I'm getting to the point where I don't mind looking at pictures! I really appreciate all the kind words I've been hearing from people too. Those are just the things I keep in mind when I am working out.

There is a great article on Yahoo! today about women's workouts, and it talks about how important it is to lift weights. It's nice to read this article and realize that I am reaping the benefits they are talking about. It says your clothes will fit better (check!), that your diet will improve (check! I remember early on talking about this - it's hard to go home after a workout and eat junk food - when you feel pleasantly tired - or just exhausted - from that workout the last thing you want is junk food - instead it's all about the veggies and fruit!), and a bunch of other things that I find myself saying "check!" to.

I really credit Snap Fitness for all this goodness that is happening to my health. It's a wonderful facility with great cardio, strength training and lots of friendly people. I really enjoy heading over there for my workouts whenever I want. Mostly after work, but weekends too. They usually have some awesome deals running, so if you want to get in shape check them out!